Monday, April 10, 2006

Wonders of life



Just noticed something (yeah i know, i am slow). If i look general impression of spring season and what shows i have picked there is clearly few things that most have common. Series what include at least 90% females, only little or zero fanservice and a) normal life with more or less realism (Ah! my goddess, Aria, Nana) b) "normal" school life if you can count lesbians in girls-only school normal (Strawberry panic) or c) magical girls (Fushigi).

Other 3 series at the moment, i dropped Kiba because second episode didn't offer miracles so that leaves none shounen here. Suzumiya is open question until i see more and hack, well it's fantasy series.

Why i enjoy slice of life-ish series so much isn't easy question to answer. My taste in anime is quite feminine for guy so that's definitely not common. It's simply relaxing to watch how girls just enjoy their lives without action, guns, mechas or panty shots. And if in the way characters face different issues hard to deal with or feel romantic feelings towards other people even better. Perhaps lack of females as main characters was reason i didn't like Ouran high school host club.

After all this i still watch almost everything once in a while not to feel bored because of repeating same. At least if it's well done and not too long (26 episodes max). But series with non fanservice female lead(s) has much higher chance that i enjoy it and most likely only those can make it to the top10. Outside anime i watch lot of war stuff, mostly documents and follow ice hockey somewhat so i am not mentally female (yet). But that's whole another topic which i talk maybe later.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Why i enjoy slice of life-ish series so much isn't easy question to answer. My taste in anime is quite feminine for guy so that's definitely not common."

Well either I also have very uncommon tastes or you dont realize there are more people with the same tastes as you out there, I just want to tell you you're not alone.

I guess when I got into anime, it was through a series like Card Captor Sakura, then I migrated to Love Hina, then I began to really enjoy shoujo-romance-ish stories and it just grew from there (j-doramas and such... hell, I would subscribe to shoujo beat if the stories weren't already way past the beginnings). Not to say I hate mechas or fighting shows, I'd rather have Shoujo-romance.

3:23 AM  
Blogger Anga said...

I don't know how situation is for example in Japan, but few smaller forums i have visited i am about only one with similar taste. I guess it really depends place.

6:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home