Sunday, May 28, 2006

Maria-sama ga Miteru



Long time ago i searched good shoujo ai series and eventually choice was between Kannazuki no Miko and Maria-sama ga Miteru. I chose KnM because it had less episodes and it turned out to be quite awesome. I had plans to watch this next, but as always it got delayed. So, finally i watched first season. Was it as good as KnM? Not entirely.




Before i continue i have to say few words about similarities between Strawberry panic and Marimite. It's obvious that SP blatantly copied a lot, but did it entertaining way and added twice as much cheesy shoujo ai. Can't really say it's better than original, but is it's own way enjoyable show.



Anyway, back to this anime. First thing that looked quite promising was mood. It's peaceful, use a lot characters's monologue to tell story and is skillfully done. OP and ED were quite decent most of time, it was just after i had finished the series i also started to like those songs more. Character development is good and design similar to shoujo which good thing of course. Slow paced shoujo (ai) based on interesting characters is also pretty much ideal situation for me so I had high expectations.



One would think that Marimite is in my top10 now, but unfortunately not. Way how characters present themselves bug me a bit. More than once i thinked "don't just stand there, say something!" when watching Yumi's emo scenes. Angst is tricky thing to do, it's easy to overdo it and everything look ridiculous. Some series need it, some don't. Required amount vary greatly from series to series, but Marimite is definitely one that needs more angst. Mangaminx also commented this subject at her blog. I have always liked dramatized emotions more. One would argue which is better way, but i guess it's just my personal preference.



I have liked all episodes so far and it isn't boring any way, but without insane comedy or heart breaking drama this is pretty much the limit how good pure slice of life can be. I really would like to see more powerful reactions, this has so much potential to be funny, sad and romantic yet it doesn't fully use any of those attributes. Before that i can only say that Marimite is just good shoujo ai show. I certainly hope that the second season change my opinion.

Rating: 8,5

5 Comments:

Blogger Anga said...

Yeah, drama. =)

Hope so too, these kind of shows are quite hard to find. I probably watch second season on next week, i have a holiday then.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Anga said...

Now that you mentioned it yeah the noses are big, but I didn't really notice that when watching. The eyes on other hand were positive thing, big eyes reflect emotions more. =)

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like marimite, unfortunately the series is not complete here in my country

9:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I found Maria sama ga miteru to be way better than strawberry panic simply because of its slow approach. It develops the characters fully and is pretty entertaining to me, and much more subtle.

7:37 AM  
Anonymous ACK said...

Hello. I just came by via Google, searching for Anime that is quite similar to Marimite. (Especially having someone with a Sei attitude and a Sachiko look (Long haired Bishounen type).

I saw Strawberry Panic a few while back, just scanning through it and while it is quite so - just like Marimite, it's more yuri. Maybe I'm just bias'd sorry.

I love Marimite and I don't think I'd ever stop watching it (one part of me wishing that there would be someone for everyone though).

The threading grounds in Season 1, Dramatic Angst in Season 2 for each pair and the wonderful comedic side in Season 3. (Haven't watched 4th yet. :(...) Especially how you can see the beauty in detail drawing, and the improvement in Sachiko during the seasons.

I'm hoping for a movie though, just to tie ends up. I mean. Just to keep my heart at peace lol. It's like fanfiction, but things just got real! :D

I don't really know why I'm posting this here, a part of me think you guys would understand the ranting I've said, and well, I just want people who also likes Marimite so they would also understand what I feel.

Thanks a lot for the review :D

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home