Saturday, July 08, 2006

Bokura ga Ita 1





There isn't lot of new shoujo coming right now and Bokura ga ita is one of few titles that belong to those so I felt kind of obligated to watch first episode. Animation and character design is probably most discussed topic about this anime. And unfortunately thing for me that prevent fully enjoying Bokura ga ita.

My main complain isn't really main characters since they get the focus and are usually decently done, but more like what happen around them. Background lacks any details and side characters are poorly done, that kills the mood effectively. In the middle of the episode there was few scenes where Nanami had only one eye, have you really that small budget? If first episode is something like this then what about rest, my hopes aren't high. Another thing is very slow pacing. That itself isn't problem, after all I'm addicted to slice of life. But previously mentioned things in animation managed to make it negative since what's first you watch in those? Yeah, backgrounds and any feelings that characters raise will get flattened almost completely.

I complained a lot, but I still have plans to watch more. For how long, I'm not sure.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I feel like I'm the only one who really likes this show, but I just don't understand how the animation style can put people off that much. Especially since I think it's very artistic, giving us one of the most interesting looks in recent seasons.

Anime are not the real world. They don't succeed by imitating the real world, with all its extraneous details. They succeed by creating visual and dramatic worlds of their own. The idea that things like blank faces on background characters could put people off so much just baffles me completely. Not every show has to look like Suzumiya Haruhi, excellent as that show was (imo).

12:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, I like this show too. Even if it's for lower budget purposes, I find the blank spaces and really white overall pale look to the series charming and artsy. That and I love Shoujo series... made shoujo-y. I don't know how to explain it, but I do love the feeling it gives off.

And although I'm not too impressed with the characters, I always love shoujo manga (I have liked few shoujo anime)for some reason even if I don't like the characters to a certain series. Nanami is cute, at least.

1:03 AM  
Blogger Anga said...

I think Princess Princess is good example for this reply. I don't know if both of you have seen it but animation isn't really it's strong point yet I don't complain about it. There are many not-so-good scenes on animation wise and I didn't notice those until I read blog post about it. Part of the reason may be that series kept my attention in the content. The bottom line is, at least creators tried. Side characters aren't most beautiful ones ever created, but they all have faces.

As long as animation is at least decent through all aspects I don't really care, higher than that is just eyecandy that doesn't matter in the end. Yeah, it's shoujo, but considering my (lack of) free time around home computer I can't watch every shoujo series that there is.

Artistic look is often factor that divine fandom, many consider Higurashi's (ugly for me) character design one of bests right now and some hate it.

1:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home