Saturday, October 07, 2006

Saiunkoku Monogatari - Dropped after too much hesitation to actually do it



When I watch anime where an army of bishies talk like it's their last day things tend to be boring, usually series like that needs tons of SD faces or some sort of emotional attachment which don't happen too often. SaiMono lacks both and to make it worse I'm not fan of Chinese settings. I would rather take modern world used for example in Nana when it comes to stories about independent women. Music also feels too forgettable.


Some good point(s) exist though. Shuurei is great character and I have tried to keep watching SaiMono because of her while waiting that the plot becomes more interesting later. But with not so good results. If I watch this half-heartily without getting much in return it's just pointless waste of time. So yeah, I drop this now.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

FINALLY! Someone who feels the way I do! I dropped it a little sooner than you did, though; when I realized that the only bishie with personality ((the scholar with blue hair)) wasn't going to become very significant, I gave up on Saiunkoku Monogatari.

I agree with most of your post; Shuurei is an awesome heroine and she should've been enough to make the anime. I do, however, really enjoy the feel of the Chinese setting ((although the actually premise of the anime itself is... rather stupid)); and I liked the OP sequence. A lot.

The bishies repulsed me though, the emperor in particular. He was just... not interesting. At all. It doesn't quite help that I watched this and Ouran at the same time; Saiunkoku falls terribly flat when one compares the amount of personality Ouran puts on screen with what Saiunkoku presents.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Anga said...

Yeah, Ouran had more interesting bishies.

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a shame, the scholar with the blue hair becomes extremely significant in the second season.

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home