Friday, August 11, 2006

Katri, Girl of the Meadows 10




It's kind of funny how my attitude towards this series stay optimistic, normally it's "Everything sucks unless proven otherwise". By each episode I expect that something good happen and when I think few hours later what I saw it's only empty feeling without any enjoyment that really good anime gives.

While Katri's life isn't boring to watch by any means I still would like to see more variation, the farm where she lives doesn't really offer that interesting content. I know that normal life then wasn't anything like it's nowadays, but they should at least increase the screentime for side characters. Or if the focus stay on Katri flesh out relationships more. I hoped that they would have used her mother bit more in the story by now, but after the beginning she almost just disappeared without a trace. This is 49 episodes long series so hopefully she will get bigger part later.

There is also Martti who wants to be spend time with Katri and have helped her a lot with cows too when needed. The preview showed few scenes where he argued with the other boy, I assume it's something to do with Katri's work since he criticized Martti not being capable of doing the job. I wonder which direction they choose, Mohammad mentioned before about upcoming political aspect. I think it would nice addition to the show, it feels right now that Katri alone isn't likeable enough to carry the whole show. There isn't that much angst either...

Nevertheless, the subject here is probably reason why I still watch this. You hardly ever see any other shows where are things related to Finland's past, let alone Finnish girl as a main character. It's just joy to hear Sibelius's music in anime and it also fits with the mood nicely. Lot of chances to become great show.

13 Comments:

Blogger Mohammad said...

I think working very hard at her age and enduring a lot of pain makes Katri very interesting. She reminds me of Emma. How can you say there is no angst when she was slapped and accused wrongly of being careless! Things will start moving soon with the appearance of new characters.

As for the political aspect, it will concern an interesting relation that Katri will develop with a certain character who will appear later. Remember, the story is set in a period when Finland was still under Russian rule.

1:19 AM  
Blogger Anga said...

Well, Katri doesn't make lot of efforts to respond so the angst don't feel like angst. She should curse every person alive, run into forest and then come back an hour later. Or something like that...

8:52 AM  
Blogger Kurotsuki said...

wow...i remember i used to watch this show when i was hum 8 ( 12 years ago )
hard to beleive it's somehow still around .

9:40 AM  
Blogger Anga said...

Yeah, still. When I was kid I watched anime only little so nostalgia is somewhat unknown for me. Not sure if that's good or bad thing.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Mohammad said...

The fact that she swallowed it and didn’t complain is the best part.

There is a saying where I come from that goes: “True power isn’t by inflicting damage to people physically, true power is the ability to control your anger”

Every one can get mad and scream and fight and what not but very few people can control their anger at difficult situations. Katri is stronger than me because she can do that and that scene is one of my favourite scenes of all time. It’s interesting to note that many similar scenes like this exist in other WMT shows.

7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

do you know the name of the country where Katri lives with her grandparents before leaving to Räikkölä farm ?

2:37 PM  
Blogger Anga said...

Finland.

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anga I'm referring to the name of the village.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Anga said...

Ah, that bit harder question to answer. I'm not sure.

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the anime is said that Räikkölä is far about 3-4 KM from Katri oen village. Do you know Martti surname? Is it exactly Haluna?

6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the anime is said that Räikkölä is far about 3-4 KM from Katri own village. Do you know Martti surname? Is it exactly Haluna?

6:01 PM  
Blogger Anga said...

Sorry, don't know. I have poor knowledge about that so it probably needs bit of research and I'm too tired to do it now.

7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi,

do u know where i can download this anime katri and other really old anime? thanks lots for your help. :)

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home