Monday, October 09, 2006

Response to Ayyo's post about the state of dating sims among anime fans

I didn't plan to do post like this since it's kind of obvious, but after reading Ayyo's post about the subject I guess it's ok. Before anyone start screaming out there, yes, some series exist without using same stereotypes as in every genre like KGNE and Air for example, but in this genre I simply dislike the basic content so much that it's not worth my time. Good not-so-successful example from recent seasons is Utaware. In the end all I got was huge disappointment without proper end and my initial decision to skip it was right. Following three reasons in general why I avoid this genre:

1) Point of view. Most shows I watch have female POV and despite being a guy I enjoy that a lot more than watching male one, I have various problems to relate with male lead. And top of that I hate harems so when dating sims combine those two you can't really expect to me like it.

2) Stock characters. Yes, all genres have these, but I happen to find the ones here so loathsome that there isn't really limit to it. Some are annoying, some disgusting and the rest plainly boring.

3) Fanservice. Slightly related to first one, I would rather stab myself with knife than watch how "moe" girls show their panties 13 episodes in the front of male lead and everything's so funny that I almost die, due to boredom. Is it some sort of law every female either have to be loli or own big boobs? And someone please, maids aren't pleasure to see.

There. You can flame me if you want, but I'm not going to change my opinion. If I have to watch several hours crap to find something decent and still expect I have motivation to search good ones you overrate my need to find good anime. There are many genre that have much better ratio with entertaining content so dating sims are lost case. I still haven't decided do I follow Kanon, I'm running low on patience with these things right now.

Btw Ayyo, it's not like I appreciate your opinion either so I guess we are even.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One man's meat is another's poison. And we wonder why we try so hard...

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, that's fan diversity for you. True enough, most shows nowadays have more cliches than you can shake a stick at.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

Thank god, someone else with a distate for what the lolicons love.

11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

=O Anime bloggers are supposed to be united, your "opinions" are irrelevant! [/sarcasm]
I think it's great when there are diverging opinions amongst authors, it gets tiring reading the same thing 10 times over. (My blog being one of those 10 D=) Although my experience with harems and dating sim games is quite the opposite. For me those genres are much like pizza, even when horribly made, it's still good =D
But alas, to each his own.
~ Shirukii ~

4:37 AM  
Blogger drmchsr0 said...

Go play one.

Then come back to me.

4:52 AM  
Blogger Anga said...

Actually, I have tried KGNE already and I'm not going to try another one.

6:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home